Do I need an electrical permit for my residential project?
Yes, an electrical permit is required for most projects. According to the Oregon Department of Consumer & Business Services, Building Codes Division, an electrical permit is required when you:
- Install or alter any permanent wiring or electrical device.
- Install additional wiring in your home.
- Install a new electrical outlet or light fixture.
- Install a receptacle for a garage-door opener.
- Convert from fuse box to circuit breakers.
- Install or alter low-voltage systems, such as security alarms, stereos, or computer systems.
For more information on when you need an electrical permit, go to PermitsProtect.info.
Click the image to see the State of Oregon's brochure.